Welcome to California, the Golden State!
California is located in the southwestern quadrant of the United States, bordered by Oregon, Nevada, Arizona and Mexico.
This is the 3rd largest state by area and it is also the most populous state.
Population: About 40 million
Time Zone: Pacific Standard Time (PST)
California is one of the most coveted travel destinations in the United States. The Golden State is home to iconic cities, bucket list landmarks, diverse National Park landscapes, stunning sunsets and epic road trips.
National Parks In California:
- Yosemite National Park
- Death Valley National Park
- Joshua Tree National Park
- Redwood National and State Parks
- Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
- Pinnacles National Park
- Lassen Volcanic National Park
- Channel Islands National Park
Want more National Parks? Head to our National Parks page.
Popular Places To Visit In California:
- San Diego
- Los Angeles
- Santa Barbara
- San Francisco
- Palm Springs
- Point Reyes National Seashore
- Lava Beds National Monument
- Golden Gate National Recreation Area
Yosemite National Park
Yosemite National Park is located in California’s Sierra Nevada Mountain range. It is famous for its granite cliffs of El Capitan and Half Dome as well as the ancient sequoia trees and numerous waterfalls.
This National Park is one of the most photogenic parks in all of the United States. Be sure to stop by the Ansel Adams Gallery where you can see famous early photographs of this stunning area.
Below you can find our popular guides for Yosemite National Park:
- Yosemite Itinerary – This is an ultimate first time visitor guide to Yosemite featuring a one, two and three day itinerary.
- Where To Stay At Yosemite – The best hotels and lodging options for all types of budgets.
- Yosemite Mist Trail – A hike around the John Muir Loop to Vernal and Nevada Falls.
- Yosemite Photography – The best locations, iconic landmarks and epic vistas.
- Yosemite In October – Ten important things to know before visiting in fall.
Heading to Yosemite? Shop our Yosemite travel ebook to help plan to your trip.
Death Valley National Park
Death Valley is located in eastern California in the northern Mojave Desert and in summer, this park becomes one of the hottest places on earth. This National Park is home to the lowest point in North America, Badwater Basin.
- One Day In Death Valley – The perfect day trip itinerary from Las Vegas.
Joshua Tree National Park
This National Park can be found in southern California straddling both the Colorado and Mojave desert. The name comes from the picturesque twisted Joshua trees which are scattered throughout the area.
- Joshua Tree Day Trip – An amazing one day road trip itinerary.
California Pacific Coast Highway
State Route 1 runs almost the entirety of the pacific coastline in the United States from Washington all the way to California. But the longest and most popular section of this road is located in California.
The California Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) is known as one of the best American road trips of all time. Most people drive just a section of the California PCH anywhere from San Francisco to San Diego.
- Pacific Coast Highway Road Trip – 23 stunning stops from San Francisco to San Diego you need to add to your bucket list itinerary.
- San Francisco Itinerary – 15 amazing things to do in 3 days with restaurant and hotel recommendations.
- Alcatraz Tour Review – Is a tour to the mysterious Alcatraz Island worth your valuable time and money?
- Best View of Golden Gate Bridge – Five amazing photography locations to capture this iconic landmark.
- Things To Do In Los Angeles – Ten unmissable things to do in LA for first time visitors.
- Warner Bros Studio Tour Hollywood – Is this hyped up tour worth the money?
- San Diego Itinerary – A list of nine epic things to do over three days in San Diego.
Northern California Hot Springs
California is home to many stunning hot springs surrounded by epic vistas which makes for a great addition to a road trip. Be sure to check out all of our hot spring guides below.
- Northern California Hot Springs – The 20 best northern California hot springs and where to find them.
Many of these popular hot springs are located near Yosemite National Park and make for a great trip after a long day of hiking.
- Hill Top Hot Spring – Our favorite hot spring in the Mammoth Lakes area.
- Crab Cooker Hot Spring – The hottest spring in the area so only enter if you dare.
- Travertine Hot Springs – The most popular natural hot spring found along scenic US highway 395.