Welcome to the US state parks! This is where you will find all of our state park travel guides from around the United States of America.
Most people only focus on the US National Parks, but we believe the 6,600 state park sites spread throughout 14 million acres of land in the United States are hidden gems always worth visiting.
The biggest different between a state or national park is the governing body that oversees the park. A state park is run by the state government while a national park is run by the federal government.
Now, let’s find some state parks near you!
Best State Parks
New York State
There are 180 NY state parks and since Kristen is a New York native, we will show you the 20 best state parks worth visiting in upstate.
Search State Parks By Map
Use the map below help find your next state park adventure:
US State Parks
Dark orange = USA state parks
List Of US State Parks By Name
The state parks in the United States can be just as breathtaking as the national parks and unlike these bigger parks, you can always find multiple state parks in every US state.
But the best part about state parks is these areas often see much less foot traffic and offer many more amenities compared to the larger more famous national parks.
This is a long list, but here are a few of our favorite state parks in the US:
- Buttermilk Falls State Park – Hikes in this park include frothing waterfalls, jagged gorges and natural beauty.
- Custer State Park – One of the largest and most diverse state parks in the United States.
- Coral Pink Sand Dunes – Near Kanab Utah, this is where you can sand board and look for Bigfoot.
- Green Lakes State Park – A popular spot near Syracuse with two glacial lakes and numerous hiking trails.
- Emerald Bay State Park – Best things to do in Emerald Bay Lake Tahoe
- Letchworth State Park – Known as the Grand Canyon of the east, this park was also named best state park in 2015.
- Niagara Falls State Park – How to visit and experience the best things on the US side of the falls.
- Robert H. Treman State Park – Don’t miss the 12 waterfalls as you pass into the depths of Enfield Glen gorge.
- Taughannock Falls State Park – Here you will find the tallest single drop waterfall East of the Rocky Mountains.
- Watkins Glen State Park – The extraordinary crown jewel of New York’s Finger Lakes region.
- Wallace Falls State Park – One of the most visually stunning trails in Washington State.
- Valley Of Fire State Park – An amazing day trip from Las Vegas with stunning red rock landscapes.
USA Travel Guide Resources
If you are planning to road trip around the US or visit numerous location during your vacation, here are a few popular USA resources to help you prepare for your trip.
- US Road Trips – A road trip is often the best way to visit many parks all in one go. Visit the section of our blog dedicated to helping you find the best road trip.
- America the Beautiful Pass – For only $80 / year this pass will give you free entry to all the US national parks and national monuments.
- Travel Guidebooks – Our very popular Travel Guidebooks feature bucket list destinations. Each guidebook represents hours of research, personal experiences, insider tips and recommendations.
- National Parks Passport – The best way to document your next national park adventure!
- National Park Quotes – A collection of quotes about America’s national parks to inspire your next trip.
*Please note this page may contain affiliate links. If you click on one, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting the free content we provide! Read more in our disclosure policy.*